Flu is a highly infectious virus which affects your respiratory tract – your nose, throat and lungs. Symptoms include headache, high fever, chills, sore throat, aching muscles and joints and a dry cough.
A flu vaccination is the best defence available, providing up to 90% protection.
The vaccine contains a viral protein that enables your immune system to make antibodies. These protect it against the strains of the flu virus predicted by the World Health Organisation as the most likely to affect our population. Protection develops a week after receiving the vaccination.
To receive your vaccination please call into our Rose Inn Street shop.
Who is eligible* for free vaccination?
Administration of the Flu Vaccine is free to all Medical Card, GP Visit Card & HAA card holders who are over 65 or who belong to one of the at-risk groups listed below.
Who are the at-risk groups?
- persons aged 65 and over
- those with a long-term medical condition such as diabetes, heart or lung disease, moderate or severe asthma, COPD, cystic fibrosis, MS
- persons whose immune system is impaired due to disease or treatment
- healthcare workers & carers
- residents of nursing homes and long stay institutions
- persons with a body mass index (BMI) over 40
- all pregnant women, at any stage of pregnancy
- persons with regular close contact with poultry, water fowl or pigs
- household contacts of persons with increased medical risk
* Eligibility criteria are subject to change by the HSE, ask in store for details.
What if I am not eligible for free vaccination?
If you are over 18 and not a holder of a medical card, GP visit card or HAA card but fall within the at risk groups above the charge for the consultation service attached to the vaccine is €15. If you are over 18 and not a holder of a medical card, GP visit card or HAA card and do not fall within the at risk groups above there will be an additional charge. Please ask in store for further details.
Our Flu Vaccination service is available to everyone over 18 years old. All pharmacists administering vaccines have completed comprehensive training and are fully certified to administer the flu vaccine.