Stay Fit – Stay Healthy!
Did you start off 2021 with new goals and objectives for the year ahead? Perhaps one of them is to get fit & healthy or lose weight. One of the best ways we can do any of these is to go Walking! It’s one form of exercise that is both free and easy to do. There’s no training involved, it can be a great social activity if you want it to be…. and you can do it anywhere!
We all know walking is good for us but it’s actually more important than we realise. Click on the infographic below to see the 20 benefits of walking:
Being physically active is probably the single most important thing that we can do for maintaining or improving our physical and mental health and wellbeing. Physical activity which includes an active lifestyle and routine exercise, like walking, plus eating sensibly is the best way to stay healthy. Here is a guideline of activity for you and your family:
Children and Young People (2-18)
All children and young people should be active, at a moderate to vigorous level, for at least 60 minutes every day. Include muscle-strengthening, flexibility and bone-strengthening exercises 3 times a week.
At least 30 minutes a day of moderate activity on 5 days a week (or 150 minutes a week). You can count shorter bouts of activity towards the guidelines. These bouts should last for at least 10 minutes.
Older People (65+)
At least 30 minutes a day of moderate intensity activity on 5 days a week, or 150 minutes a week. Focus on aerobic activity, muscle-strengthening and balance.
Walking is the best form of exercise as it can be tailored to most fitness levels and health needs – and it’s absolutely FREE! No gym membership, no sign up fees – all you need is comfortable footwear, appropriate clothing for the weather and you are good to go!
Here are 5 tips to help you get started and stay on track:
– Go for a stroll after dinner each day instead of watching television – make this a habit like brushing your teeth or taking your vitamins
– Give yourself an aim like walk to the shop to get milk or post a letter to a friend – it helps to have a reason to get to your destination
– Change your route and explore different paths every day – that way it won’t seem so monotonous and you will gain more appreciation of your the surroundings on your doorstep
– Leave the car at home and walk to public transport to get to work / shops – this is not only good for your health but you will also save money too!
– Keep track of your progress by using a calendar or a fitness tracker – you will soon see improvements in your timing and want to increase your steps
For more information on how to get started on your new fitness plan, call in to your local Haven Pharmacy for more advice!
Trackbacks & Pingbacks
[…] is an image from the Haven Pharmacy that covers 20 benefits for walking 30 minutes per […]
Comments are closed.