Your skin is one of the largest organs your body has, it works hard every day to protect your body from harmful elements, pollution and environmental damage. Taking good care of your skin and developing a daily skin care routine is so important because it can help your skin do its job at its best and for longer.
In our teens and twenties, we’re blessed with youthful skin that recovers quickly from pretty much anything including all night parties, takeaways, sun damage, wipes and sleeping with make-up on. The first signs of aging usually begins in our 30s when we start to notice fine lines and wrinkles, then as we reach our 40’s we may find our skin is not quite as taut as it used to be, due to lack of collagen the skin begins to sag or drop. It’s never too late to start a skincare routine, but the earlier you start the better! And it doesn’t have to cost the earth either – these small, simple steps will help you give your skin all the help it needs to age beautifully…
1. Get lots of sleep
– It’s called ‘beauty sleep’ for a reason! At night, cell regeneration is faster as it’s busy repairing damage and rebuilding cells. After a good night’s sleep you will notice your skin looks more revived and brighter.
2. Drink plenty of water
– Drink at least 2 litres of water each day to keep your cells hydrated and flush out toxins that can build up making the skin looking dull and tired. Hydration is the key to plump, healthy, clear skin!
3. Eat Fruit, Vegetables and Nuts
– Eat your vitamins! Foods rich in Vitamin A, Vitamin E, Selenium and Omega 3 are a great way of improving the health of your skin and the appearance of your complexion. Optimize your nutrition by eating antioxidant-rich fruit and vegetables and healthy fats from oily fish and nuts.
4. Exfoliate once or twice a week
– Exfoliating your skin is important to remove the dead skin cells, revealing softer, smoother skin. You can use an exfoliating facial scrub or an exfoliating face mask depending on how sensitive your skin is.
5. Use a moisturiser daily
– Wear a moisturiser that suits your skin type, ensure it contains an SPF and apply it to a clean, damp face so that your skins absorbs all that goodness ensuring protection all day long. Tinted moisturisers are a good replacement for heavy foundations & drying powders
6. Double cleanse in the evenings
– Single cleanse isn’t strong enough to remove all the grime from your skin, so use an oil-based cleanser to remove oils from your skin and then your second cleanse will deep clean your pores. It will take a couple of extra minutes but your future self will be thankful.
7. Wear a night moisturiser
– Skin cells are at their most productive when we sleep, so they are quite receptive to moisturising ingredients. A good night cream can boost radiance, revive dull & tired skin, reduce the look of visible fine lines, increase moisture and tone the skin – that’s a lot of work all while you are asleep!
8. Invest in quality skin care products
– Instead of spending your heard earned money on expensive facials, why not treat yourself to a really good quality moisturiser or cleanser. It will last longer and is better for your skin in the long run rather than a one-off treatment.
9. Try out different face masks
– A great pick-me-up for dull complexions needing some extra TLC. Look for ingredients such as Tea Tree, Seaweed, Charcoal and Ginseng which contain properties that can detoxify, cleanse or hydrate the skin leaving it radiant & luminous.
10. Ditch the wipes!
– As much as we would all like to take the day off in one easy step, facial wipes are extremely bad for your skin and even worse for the environment. Use a face cloth, muslin cloth or cleansing mitt with your skincare products and bin the wipes for good!
And finally, this one goes without saying – wear a broad spectrum SPF every single day. Check out our recent blog on this topic and why it’s so important.
At Haven Pharmacy we take pride in knowing that we only sell the best skincare products from trusted brands such as La Roche Posay, Vichy, Clarins, Dr. Hauschka, NeoStrata and so many more*.
Ask our expert staff for advice on what skin care products suit your skin and your budget.
Haven, you’re in expert hands!