Met Éireann warns hay fever sufferers that grass pollen will be “High” for the next few days.
Not good news for Hay Fever or Asthma suffers, but rest assured you can trust your local Haven Pharmacist to advise you on the right Anti-histamines for your allergy symptoms.
Here are some helpful tips and advice to help you survive the next few days:
Signs and Symptoms
Allergic reactions usually happen quickly within a few minutes of exposure to Pollen. Common symptoms of Hay Fever include:
• Runny or blocked nose
• Red, itchy, watery eyes
Treatment for Hay Fever Sufferers
In many cases, the most effective way of managing an allergy is to avoid the allergen that causes the reaction whenever possible. These are a just few examples of how to limit exposure to allergens:
• Keep windows closed in your bedroom at night
• Stay indoors as much as possible on high pollen days
• Don’t keep fresh flowers in the home or office
• Stay away from grassy areas, don’t cut grass or walk on grass
• Put Vaseline around your nostrils to trap pollen
• Wear wrap-around sunglasses to stop pollen getting into your eyes
• Shower, wash your hair and change your clothes if you have been outside for an extended period
• Avoid drying clothes outside, or shake them outdoors before bringing them in to your home
• Keep pets outdoors as much as possible and wash them regularly
• Minimise your contact with pets who have been outdoors and are likely to be carrying pollen
• Vacuum your house regularly and dust surfaces with a damp cloth
• Consider a purifier with a built-in air quality sensor to remove allergens and pollutants from the air
There are a range of very effective over the counter remedies from your Haven pharmacy to help reduce the symptoms of allergies.
Please ask your local Haven Pharmacist if you would like advice on which treatment is best suited to your needs.
Haven Pharmacy, you’re in expert hands