Self care is more important now than ever, we need to make sure that we are okay before we can take care of others. Self care promotes a healthy lifestyle as it reduces stress, increases confidence and gives us a more positive outlook on life.
Here are some self care tips to help you bring out the best in yourself:
Eat a Balanced Healthy Diet:
– Eat more vegetables, salad and fruit – up to seven servings a day
– Limit intake of high fat, sugar and salt in food and drinks
– Size matters: use the Food Pyramid as a guide for serving sizes
– Increase your physical activity levels, small changes can make a big difference
Improve your Physical Wellbeing:
– Children and young people (2-18): all children and young people should be active, at a moderate to vigorous level, for at least 60 minutes every day
– Adults (18-69): at least 30 minutes a day of moderate activity on five days a week or 150 minutes a week
– Children and adults with a disability should aim to be as active as their disability allows, and aim to meet the guideline for their age group if possible
– Visit your GP at least once a year for a full check up and know your numbers in relation to weight, blood pressure and BMI
Look after your Mental Health:
– Going for a walk or run can help get rid of pent-up energy and can leave you feeling much calmer.
– Make contact with out with family or friends by email, phone or video-calling.
– Taking some deep breaths and try meditation — deep breathing can help to relax the body.
– Practice mindfullness and do something that makes you feel good – treat yourself!
Maintain a good Sleep Routine:
– Getting some good sleep, as a lack of sleep can affect your general well-being.
– Keeping your usual sleep routine is vital, get up at the usual time and retire to bed when you feel tired.
– Limit the amount of caffeine in the evenings as stimulants will keep you awake and disrupt your pattern.
– While we sleep, our bodies use this time to rest and repair so good sleep hygiene is vital to strengthen your body’s immune response
Other self care tips include:
- Spend more time with family & friends to build your sense of belonging
- Declutter your bedroom to create a calm space
- Take control of your finances & reduce your debt
- Reduce your time on social media channels
- Start a new hobby making more time to do the things you enjoy!
Remember, self care is not selfish – it’s necessary and plays an important role in our overall wellness.
If you need more advice, visit your local Haven Pharmacy for a confidential, non-judgemental chat.
Haven, you’re in expert hands.